23.4.09

While I was sick...

I read this...
There are some truly wonderful projects in here. You need to get ahold of a copy.
I got this in the mail...
my merino/bamboo roving from knititup.
here it is upclose. it is glorious. i can't wait to try and spin it.
i also read this...



so that i could spin this...

merino superwash in Hydrangea. fiber addict enabler sent along with the merino/bamboo by knititup! how wicked!

so i spun it into this...


merino singles! my first spinning attempt!


so i bought some of this...

BFL from Fearless Fibers in a color called deep space.
and i plied-on-the-fly this...

3 ply BFL. kind of thick, but wow this was super easy.



so i tried for thinner...


and then plied-on-the-fly again...

comparison.


verdict: spinning with a drop spindle...
fun.
spinning super thin 3 ply...
hard...
but fun.
ply-on-the-fly is so nice. i can spin and ply all at the same time which means knitting it up sooner, but how do i get it nice and thin?
i am hoping to get more of a fingering weight.
more practice i guess.

3 comments:

  1. I've been seeing that book here and there. I'm going to have to go check it out.
    I alway thought it would be so fun to try spinning yarn. At least try it. I guess I should learn how to knit first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Practice, practice, practice! That is what we all have to do to get to the thin stuff. Your first attempts look beautiful. Mine didn't look nearly that good. Keep spinning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh...a new hobby...spinning...great job!!

    ReplyDelete